Josh Kim's Resume
Remote UX Researcher and Designer based in Washington D.C.
Currently a Senior Designer and Accessibility Specialist at Ad Hoc. Former UX Researcher and Designer at Deloitte Digital.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
SMB Loans Team, US Digital Response (USDR)
UX and Accessibility Designer
Designed an eligibility questionnaire which helps small business owners quickly understand and take steps towards financial relief. Served as an in-house accessibility specialist.
- Partnered with Hawaii, California, New Jersey and Pittsburgh to provide local financial relief to over 50,000 citizens.
- Led agile discovery efforts including interviews with small business SMEs and usability tests with minority-owned family businesses.
- Helped the County Elections team make online voter registration information more accessible (New York Times).
Lead UX Researcher and Designer
Led the inclusive redesign of a .gov’s job search experience to increase top-talent STEM candidate applications.
- Used Maximum Variation Sampling (MVS) inspired by the Matrix of Oppression, mixed-methods research, and participatory design with accessibility champions to mitigate unconscious exclusion.
- Completed analysis of 10 interviews and 500+ work activity notes by leading the facilitation of a Work Activity Affinity Diagram (WAAD) activity with 20+ members of the project team.
- Output personas, journey maps, and user stories through behavioral mapping exercises informed by contextual stories from the WAAD.
- Designed a WCAG 2.1 AA compliant career application flow which included 100+ high-fidelity wireframes in Sketch and clickable prototypes in InVision.
- Reduced average time to application from several minutes to less than 30 seconds.
Southern New Hampshire University
Guided Southern New Hampshire University in creating an accessible website for student applications.
- Identified and corrected over 100+ accessibility issues and introduced long lasting improvements including persistent labeling and calm error validation.
- Wrote accessibility criteria into user stories for developers to reference and write test cases.
Lead UX Researcher
Led a design and research audit on a government agency’s self-service technology portal.
- Discovered that more than 95% of the portal’s intended users had abandoned usage through snowball sampling and participatory research which led to a multimillion extension of the project.
- Identified and provided recommendations for over 50+ accessibility and usability issues.
- Created a small, robust design system and pattern library inspired by Alla Kholmatova’s work.
UX Researcher and Designer
Tasked to prioritize stakeholder needs and evaluate current-state design and architecture for a premier .gov website.
- Documented 100+ usability issues using UI Tenets and Traps and led an atomic UI inventory audit.
- Interviewed 18+ stakeholders amongst 6+ offices, led the analysis and coding of 800+ lines of anecdotal data, and created a digital affinity map to help facilitate a prioritization workshop.
- Created a provisional information architecture for the client based on stakeholder interviews and card-sorting activities with end users.
Virginia Tech -
B.S., Business Information Technology with a minor in Business Leadership and Computer Science.
Mentored by Kim Gausepohl, Ph.D, AUXP as a UX intern at NIS.
- Design in Sketch, Figma, Principle, Balsamiq, and Photoshop using Invision, Miro, and Abstract.
- Research methods include Heuristic Evaluations, Diary Studies, User Interviews, Card Sorting, Affinity Mapping, Thematic Analysis, Participatory Design Workshops, and more.
- Specialist in accessibility audits, disability rights, WCAG 2.0-2.2, and inclusive design. Testing with Voice Over, NVDA, TalkOver, and other assistive technologies.
SPEAKING & MENTORING
Invited Speaker, Inclusive Design Workshop,
University of Virginia
Guest Lecturer, CS 4501 Usability Engineering,
UX/UI Design Mentor, - Present
University of Virginia
Panel Speaker, CS 3205 HCI,
Guest Lecturer, Design Fellowship Program, -
National Intelligence University
Speaker, IVMG Annual Conference,
James Madison University
Guest Judge, SMAD Design Challenge,
Carnegie Mellon University
Guest Lecturer, IS Capstone,