During my many run ins with clients who were unable to easily identify what their favorite font was, I came up with Client Font or CFont for short. Rather than complicating things by sending them links to google fonts or typecast where they would have to pick on their own, I wanted a webapp that could simply display fonts I would recommend to them as a designer. The fonts can be changed relatively easily for my purposes depending on who I'm working for.
EDIT: Welp, looks like a trillion other people had this same idea! On the flip side the transitioning css I used to build the effect was pretty nifty. Feel free to shoot me an email if you want to use it.
What I used: Bootstrap, CSS, some jQuery
This seemed cool until google did it way better. Give it a try here.
Upon joining the NIS UX team at VT, my first assigned task was to shadow current employees using an outdated swing client called "ICIC"- basically, an outlook-like software that handles copyright cases on campus internet.
After collecting qualitative (and some quantitative) user research, I was able to create user personas specific to this project which gave further insight to customer expectations and touch points. This helped our team in determining what pattern libraries to use and influenced the prototyping portion of the process significantly.
I also made a quick website in bootstrap to house all of our personas for easy sharing with members outside of the UX team for developers and management to reference.
What I used: the UX Book, Bootstrap
I started a challenge for myself to design a new tennis poster a week over a period of a month. What began as a challenge turned into a small viral trend with regular top posts on reddit and retweets/follows from some of the biggest stars in tennis including Stan Wawrinka, Dustin Brown, Nick Krygios, Fabrice Santoro, and the ATP World Tour itself.
Proudest moment? Roger Federer liking one of my posters of him and getting another one next to his birthday cake.
What I used: Photoshop, Photoshop, and more Photoshop
I would have died happy that day. Some of my favorites from the challenge.
I began a campaign of awareness in response to the risk of many cultural organizations disbanding because of a sudden proposal to raise room rental costs. Within a period of three sleepless days, I scheduled several meetings with many of the at-risk organizations to determine a core narrative for the campaign. This would run parallel across a website, social media, and prints.
On top of planning, I personally reached out to members in the community and school to design a series of posts, videos, and website bios showing why this campaign mattered so much. As the representative of the campaign I also personally met with the vice-president of the university, RecSports (who proposed the rental fees), the Pamplin director of business diversity, other non-athletic cultural organizations, the Virginia Tech Student Government Association, and more.
Within several days after the release of the campaign, SCA (Save Cultural Athletics) garnered over five hundred likes on FB thanks to the support from the Virginia Tech community, three articles written by The Roanoke Times and The Collegiate Times, a featurette on Humans of Virginia Tech, a legislation in favor of the campaign through the Residence Hall Federation, and ultimately an overturned proposal to charge organizations higher room rental costs in the spring semester.
You can learn more about this project at our FB page itself here.
What I used: Red Bull + 7/11 Espresso Shots (I don't recommend this), Bootstrap, Photoshop, Illustrator
I designed and released a facebook awareness campaign featuring members of the community to create a meaningful and personal message. Here's one of the many "Meet Me" videos I recorded during the campaign.
The Drillfield Dojo. An event to promote awareness where over ten martial arts clubs held an open instructional dojo to the community.
The Kendo Club at Virginia Tech experienced a significant growth in intermediate members from three in 2012 to well over thirty in 2016. In response to this as the head instructor of the club, I decided to develop a webapp that could dynamically keep track of all of the members.
vtkm.rank was based and inspired off of many official sports websites, particularly atpworldtour.com. However, unlike many of the websites I based my designs off of, the limitations of VT's back-end servers were tough to handle. As a result, I decided to use XML documents to store player and match data, which combined with an off-server C++ application designed by a friend, could be semi-manually updated on a weekly basis. To build a fun experience and test my capabilities as a front-end developer/designer, I also organized a photoshoot and incorporated a my profile experience for members to view their stats.
The webapp now was in full use for several years before being closed and provided insightful data publicy to all the members of the club including rankings, h2h, matches (with video search), and more.
What I used: Android Studio, Bootstrap, XML, CSS, JS, Photoshop
When I was younger I thought I would always become a graphic designer. Design has always been a passion since a young age, and I was able to translate that into making logos for small businesses, clubs, and organizations. Here's a small collection of some of the work I've done since then.
What I used: Illustrator, Photoshop