Personas of the two student types, Barbara and Harvey!
Name: Barbara Gordon
Status: In a relationship
Position: Biology Student
Barbara Gordon is a junior at Virginia Tech studying Business Information Technology. She loves superhero movies but didn’t want to pay to see Deadpool in theaters. She has a lot of student loans and wants to live as cheaply as possible in order to avoid raking in more debt. Her brother taught her how to torrent over the summer, so she decides to download the movie that way while in her dorm room. Four days later, she receives an email from NI&S. She knew it was illegal to torrent the movie, but she did not realize she could get caught. Barbara doesn’t want to get sued or get sent to student conduct, both consequences that could result in the interruption of her time spent studying at Virginia Tech.
- Doesn't think she could caught
- There are thousands of other students doing the same thing so it must be ok
Name: Harvey Dent
Position: BIT Student
Harvey Dent is a sophomore at Virginia Tech studying BIT. He thinks he’s extremely tech savvy, and he’s been torrenting since his best friend taught him how in high school. Harvey enjoys posting the movies he downloads illegally to the network for other students. However, two days after Harvey downloads the movie How to Be Single and tells everyone on his hall how to access it, NI&S sends Harvey an email. Harvey wants to do everything he can to continue to torrent and is unfazed by the email.
- Harvey believes he pays enough tuition for it to be justified to share and download what he wants
- Does not think torrenting warrants a student conduct referral
Personas of the NOC Employees
Name: Clark Kent
Position: NOC Employee
Clark Kent is a new employee working on ICIC. He is a recent college graduate and this is his first office job. A current employee gave Clark a few documents (located in the Google Drive under “Shadowing Joseph”) that demonstrate how the ICIC system should be used, complete with screenshots and step-by-step instructions. These documents were helpful to Clark and helped him to learn how to gather the information needed to fill out the ICIC research fields. Clark’s job with ICIC starts when the DMCA Coordinator submits information to the NOC team. Clark sees the case number and a few other lines of information which he uses to plug into a variety of database websites in order to find the responsible student.
Personas of the DMCA Coordinators
Name: Steven Rogers
Position: DMCA Coordinator
Steven Rogers just got assigned the job of DMCA Coordinator. He has worked for Virginia Tech NI&S for three years but has never worked on ICIC before. Steven likes a sharp, clean environment that values functionality. A current DMCA Coordinator walks him through the process, but Steven needs a lot of practice before he can understand the workflow. He needs the web app to work smoothly and correctly or else he gets confused easily. He doesn’t mind asking for help, but also doesn’t want to bother current employees for too long before understanding the web app on his own. He relies on the web application to process, edit and review all of the complaints that get sent to Virginia Tech.
- Wants a smooth, clean designed web application that functions correctly.
- Relies on this application to process, edit and review all of the complaints that are sent to Virginia Tech
- Relies on ICIC manager to communicate with implicated parties
- NetRecon hasn’t correctly parsed the incoming complaints. Steven manually enters information into ICIC manager.
- The complaint does not have sufficient amount of details. Steven requests more information from complainant.
- Steven thinks additional research is required. Steven sends complaint details to NOC.
- Steven reviews information found from NOC either sends automatic email to student/liaison
- Steven reviews the tickets pending deactivation
- Steven reviews tickets corresponding with students who have a history of torrenting
Name: Charles Xavier
Position: DMCA Coordinator
Charles Xavier is an older gentleman who has been working for Virginia Tech NI&S for the greater half of his thirty year career. He takes his time making his coffee every morning and walks with a relaxed stride. Charles has seen the ICIC Manager from its original development to where it is today, which leads him to be doubtful of the current technological integrity given the drastic change in reliability. He is very much a man of tradition, and does not mind taking extra thorough steps to make sure errors do not occur.
- Wants current ICIC Manager tasks to be minimized as much as possible
- Wants a well-organized webapp that makes information easily accessible
- Prefers a smooth work environment that emphasizes direct communication
- Charles reviews each complaint in both the research pending folder and outlook
- Enters incomplete complaint information manually from XML
- If there’s not enough info, he sends it to the NOC
- Charles takes time to review deactivation pending cases before taking action
- He looks into student details before escalating a complaint
- Charles seldom leaves comments on extraneous cases under comment review